Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Granola Bars


I made these last night. I forgot to go out and get shredded dry coconut, so I had to make modifications. They seemed a little bit doughy this morning, so I rolled them in flax seed meal. That seemed to do the trick.

I made 3 varieties. One with pistachios and chocolate chips, one will chocolate chips and one with cranberries. I put the bars in baggies and everyone got to take one with them in their lunch today.


"Wet" Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup raw cashews (can use more- get these at Trader Joes)
  • 1/2 cup raw almonds (get these at Trader Joes)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
  • 2 tsp. coconut oil/butter (can replace with canola oil)
  • 1/4 cup raw agave nectar
  • 1/3 cup raw honey
  • 2 tsp water (can use more water if it doesn't mix well)
_____________________________________

"Dry" Ingredients:
  • 1 cup shredded dry coconut (I didn't have this, so I left this out)
  • 1 cup dehydrated almond meal/pulp (left over from making almond milk) - just use almond meal from TJs
  • 1 cup rolled oats ( I use more, otherwise it's too doughy)
  • 1/4 cup raw sesame seeds (I used sunflower seeds)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup flax seed meal
Additions
- can add chocolate chips, raisins, dried cranberries, walnuts, etc.

Process:

In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients. Stir thoroughly. Set aside.

Trace the bottom of a 9X9 brownie pan onto a sheet of parchment paper. Cut out the tracing, and place the square sheet of parchment in the bottom of the pan. Set aside.

In a blender, combine all "wet" ingredients and process to the consistency of a smooth nut butter. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir thoroughly until wet mixture is evenly distributed, and "dough" comes together.

store in refrigerator overnight. then cut into bars and store in little baggies.

Recipe from....

http://clairecoloredlenses.blogspot.com/2009/09/theres-nothing-like-granola-bar.html

1 comment:

  1. Hi Eva!

    Dunno if you'll get this but I wasn't sure how else to reach you. ;-) We'll be giving a raw dessert class in LA on Sat. Feb 27th and will possibly be passing through Santa Barbara the following week. Send me an email at sunnyrawkitchen(at)gmail(dot)com if you're interested and I'll send you more details!

    Blessings,
    Carmella

    ReplyDelete