Monday, January 12, 2009

My first Raw Recipe- Just Like Cheesecake

My first experience with a Raw recipe was this weekend. My son Ryan and I prepared the "Just Like Cheesecake" recipe for my stepmother's birthday. She is on a restricted diet and can't eat any dairy, refined flour, refined sugar, meat and even some vegetables (potatoes included). I got the recipe from my sister-in-law, Erin. She said it was fool-proof and I am a fool, so what did I have to I lose? So, how did it taste? It tasted amazing. Let's just say that this recipe inspired me to do this blog.

Just Like Cheesecake recipe (slightly modified)

Crust:
1 1/2 cups of almonds (Almonds didn't quite chop all of the way. There were some whole almonds, but it was still good)
1 cup of dates or 1/2 cup of honey ( I tried with honey. The food processor wasn't too happy. It was like glue. I'll try dates next time)

To make the crust, use a food processor or blender and process the nuts and dates or honey until nice and fine. Do not place all the ingredients at once but little at time or else it will burn out the blender. Place the ingredients into a pie plate lined with saran wrap and press all around the pie plate, once this is done put it in the fridge.




Cheese:
3 cups of cashews (soak in a bowl for at least an hour this will make them nice and soft)
1/4 cup of lemon juice ( I used lemonade because I didn't have any lemon juice.)
1 cup honey ( used a little less honey because of the lemonade)
1 cup of coconut oil ( don't need quite a cup. coconut oil is pretty dense)
1 teaspoon of vanilla
3/4 to 1 cup water

To make the cheese, blend the cashews, lemon, honey, coconut oil, vanilla, and 3/4 cup of water. Blend until smooth and adjust to taste.



Topping
Mango madness frozen pack from Trader Joes. (many variations on this)

1. Pour the cheese mixture onto the crust.
2. Place the cheesecake into the freezer until its nice and firm (put it in for 3-4 hours tops).
3. Then put cheesecake into the fridge for about an 1 hour.




link to original recipe
http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1685

No comments:

Post a Comment